Silverstone 2008

Quaife takes double Carrera Cup pole at Silverstone

Media release: 30 August 2008

Phil Quaife stormed to a double pole position in qualifying at Silverstone today (Friday 29 August 2008) ahead of rounds 17 and 18 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB. The Jota Sport driver bagged his first ever Carrera Cup pole for round 17 and then made it a perfect session by posting a second best time that was good enough to take pole for round 18 as well.

In a dramatic qualifying session, Quaife a mighty pace with a late run to knock PCGB VIP racer Nick Tandy off the top of the times, as championship leader Michael Caine (Team Parker Racing) took fourth and second slots on the respective grids. However, things were very different for his major title rival Tim Harvey (Red Line Racing), who will start from sixth and fifteenth places after spinning into the gravel on only his third lap of qualifying.

The battle for the pro-am1 continues to be very hard fought as Nigel Rice (Red Line Racing) headed points' leader Tony Gilham (ReDesign Racing) by less than a fifth of a second and Steve Rance (Parr Motorsport) just set the pace from Glynn Geddie (Parr Motorsport/Apex) to be top of the pro-am2 category.

"I'm really happy," said Quaife. "It was all down to the second run and we've taken another big step forward this weekend. I'm just pleased for the team, because everyone has worked so hard this year." Tandy, meanwhile, made an impressive debut and was only toppled from pole by three-hundredths of a second. "That's not too bad really; I got caught out by yellow flags on my second run," he said after taking fourth on the grid for round 18.

Tim Bridgman will start third on the grid for both races and knows that he still has a shot at the championship, despite trailing Harvey by 18 points and Caine by 23 points. "The team has done a great job, but the car needs some more front end grip," he said.

Caine will start from fourth and then third on the two grids, with Sam Hancock (Jota Sport) and Harvey next up for round 17. For Harvey, it all went wrong very early in qualifying. "I missed the brake pedal initially, and I was 50 yards past my braking point when I got back on the brakes," he explained. At the time, he was on what looked like being a pole lap, but his session was over and the title contender will start way down the field for round 18. However, Harvey was philosophical about the situation. "I've got some racing to do. But we know we've got a good car," he said, looking ahead to a pair of races that are now likely to be crucial to the outcome of the championship.

Rice headed the pro-am1 times for both races with another fine performance and will start sixth overall for round 18. However, Gilham is chasing hard and retains the points' advantage in the pro-am1 category. "I struggled to find a clear lap," said Gilham, who is split from Rice on both grids by pro racer Charles Bateman (Team Parker Racing).

The stage is also set for some great battling in pro-am2 as Rance just headed team mate Geddie in both grids. "It's a reasonably good time, but I'm still learning," said Rance. Close behind Rance and Geddie in the very competitive category were Alasdair McCaig (Apex Tubulars/Qserv), Graeme Mundy (RSS Performance) and Paul Hogarth (IN2RACING).

Tandy takes Carrera Cup victory at Silverstone

Media release: 31 August 2008

Nick Tandy claimed a mighty debut victory in an action packed round 17 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Sunday 31 August). Tim Harvey led the chase of the VIP driver to take maximum points and move one point ahead of Michael Caine in the title race as Caine fought back to fifth after a spin.

In the pro-am1 category, Nigel Rice raced hard to close the points' gap to Tony Gilham to just eight with three races remaining. In pro-am2, a nicely controlled drive by Glynn Geddie took him to the top of the championship points as Paul Hogarth and Steve Rance chased.

Phil Quaife (Jota Sport) converted his pole position into a first lap lead as Tim Bridgman (Team Parker Racing) edged ahead of Tandy on the run to Copse. Just behind, Caine (Team Parker Racing) battled through to fourth from Sam Hancock (Jota Sport) and Harvey (Red Line Racing) in a hectic opening lap.

Bridgman settled into second behind Quaife, but it went wrong for Bridgman as they completed the second lap. Quaife clipped one of the plastic corner markers at Woodcote, which flicked up and hit the radiator on Bridgman's car. With coolant spraying onto a front wheel he spun at Copse. "I thought I'd got a rear puncture," said Bridgman, who drove back to the pits, leaving coolant around much of the lap.

Quaife was the first to find the coolant at Becketts and ran wide, allowing Tandy into the lead, while Hancock lost time and Caine spun as he hit the slippery corner. Harvey, however, picked his way through the drama and was able to battle back in front of Hancock as they both close in on Quaife. "I had a great start and everything looked good," said Quaife. "Then the power steering pump started playing up and from then on I was just hanging on for dear life."

Lap by lap, Harvey hunted Quaife down and went ahead on lap 12 as Quaife struggled. Hancock later caught his team mate and took third after a close battle between the pair of Jota Sport cars. But up front, Tandy reeled off the remaining laps for an impressive victory, as Harvey took second on the road and maximum championship points. "They race you really hard," said Harvey of the young guns on the grid. "But it's maximum points, which is really important."

Having lost a lot of time with his spin. Caine managed to fight back to fifth despite some gearbox problems. In the closing stages he caught the battling pair of Rice (Red Line Racing) and Charles Bateman (Team Parker Racing) and Caine's progress up the order was boosted when Bateman clipped the back of Rice's car and damaged a radiator. Rice duly took sixth overall and pro-am1 spoils, as well as closing the gap on Gilham (ReDesign Racing) in the points. "I could have done with Bateman finishing between us," said Rice, who is now only eight points behind Gilham.

Into seventh with an excellent debut drive came Sean Paul Breslin (Team Parker Racing), having gone ahead of Gilham when the ReDesign car spun on the fluid from Bateman's car at Luffield and stalled. "I had a job to get it started again," said Gilham after claiming eighth overall and third in pro-am1.

In pro-am2, Geddie (Parr Motorsport/Apex) always set the pace, but his team mate Rance was a constant shadow. "It was a controlled drive; I was just measuring my pace," said Geddie. However, Rance got close enough late in the race to try a dive at Brooklands, but his car spun and that allowed Hogarth (IN2RACING) through to second after an excellent run.

Harvey takes sensational Carrera Cup victory at Silverstone

Media release: 31 August 2008

Tim Harvey drove the race the season to win a superb round 18 of the Porsche Carrera Cup GB at Silverstone today (Sunday 31 August). The fantastic contest, which went out live on ITV4, featured a four-way battle for the lead and it was Harvey, after starting fifteenth on the grid, who stormed through for a stunning victory and now takes a seven-point championship lead into the final race weekend.

In the pro-am1 category, Nigel Rice took another victory to further close the points' gap to Tony Gilham, who struggled home with gearbox problems. In pro-am2, Glynn Geddie completed a double win with a fine fifth overall as Steve Rance and Paul Hogarth joined him on the podium.

With a wet and very slippery track, Michael Caine (Team Parker Racing) got the jump on polesitter Phil Quaife (Jota Sport) to lead into Copse as Tim Bridgman (Team Parker Racing) and Nick Tandy (PCGB) made contact in the crowded rush to the first corner. Bridgman had to pit for a wheel change and Tandy later slipped back with a stop after running through the gravel.

Up front, Sam Hancock (Jota Sport) edged ahead of Quaife and then dived by Caine into Becketts on the second lap. Meanwhile, Harvey (Red Line Racing) was driving a superb race and was up to fourth place in three laps. Hancock started to edge clear, but it all went wrong for him on the exit of Luffield on the ninth lap when he put a wheel onto the slippery kerb and spun onto the grass. "I just made the smallest mistake," he said later.

Now, it was Quaife leading from the recovering Hancock as Harvey edged ahead of Caine for third and set about attacking Hancock. Caine tried to go with them, but knew he simply did not have the pace to challenge for the lead. "I just didn't have the grip at the back of the car," said Caine. Nevertheless, the leading four now ran nose-to-tail in a tremendous display of exciting racing in treacherous conditions.

It was Harvey that was on the move and once past Hancock was able to move in on Quaife. It took until the penultimate lap for Harvey to make his move and he ran down the inside under braking at Brooklands to cap a remarkable drive. "I had nothing to lose from where I started and I had a very good car," said Harvey. "It was desperately slippery, but it was a brilliant finish to a weekend that started disastrously." Harvey was named 'driver of the weekend' and Red Line Racing won the 'team of the weekend' award.

Quaife gave his all to try and hold on, but could not defend from Harvey in the last two laps. "I pushed harder and harder, but it wasn't enough," said Quaife as Hancock and Caine chased him to the flag. Fifth overall and a great pro-am2 victory went to Geddie (Parr Motorsport/Apex) after tigering ahead of pro-am1 winner Rice (Red Line Racing). "That was brilliant; I really enjoyed it," said Geddie.

Steve Rance (Parr Motorsport) had a very strong run to take seventh overall and second in pro-am2, while Gilham (ReDesign Racing) battled home second in pro-am1 with his car stuck in fourth gear. Bridgman salvaged ninth place, with Paul Hogarth (IN2RACING) tenth and third in pro-am2.